Blog Archive

There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Social Networking Agenda

I feel like everyone’s out with an agenda on the internet. It’s like everyone I know (including me) is out to promote, their blog their photography, their ideology, their cooking, whatever.  Is it a good or bad thing? I don’t know, but in this overcrowded consumerist, product based age, their own ‘brand identity’ is what people are trying to promote. Every individual seems to want to become a brand. Not too long ago before social networking became a necessity, it was only public figures, the rich and famous, politicians, celebrities and newspersons that got to voice their opinions to the masses. Today we communicate almost at the speed of thought. I think, I type, I hit post and voila a hundred people read my thoughts... It may not reach thousands or millions (yet) but it’s more than the number of people who would have heard me if I stood on a soapbox in the middle of a street! And the best part is I didn't have to leave my bed to do it.

So we have all these people everywhere voicing their thoughts, opinions, talent, lack of talent, idiocy you name it, as though to a street full of people. I don’t know... what does this make us? Publicity hungry micro celebrities? Socialites of our own little cyber world? Brand ambassadors for our own self? Again, I can’t say if it’s a good a bad thing, but it’s a thing, a thing that is creating a strange way in which we communicate with people through social network.

I suppose what amazes me, when I think about it, is the ease with which common masses now have the power to create and publicise their own brand of mass media, be it via YouTube videos, blogs, facebook or twitter and the power anyone has to create a tailor made identity to project a 'better than reality' self image without the awkward constraints of a personal face to face social interaction.

My worry is that it is turning people into rather pretentious, self absorbed and probably fake individuals only concerned about how many hits and likes they got on their latest posts. The only reason you’d add or accept friend requests from ‘barely remember your face and name’ friend is so you can have more people to promote your social agenda to and the acceptance that the more active you are on a network, the more popular you become. I think we need to admit to ourselves that, that is what we have become.
So what’s your social networking agenda?

Before you leave don’t forget to like my post, and comment, and maybe share it…  


1 comment:

  1. Agreed to most part of it.
    On a personal level, I still prefer the age old face to face meet.

    ReplyDelete